Friday, September 02, 2005

Did I jinx myself?

Today, I am feeling very, very tired. Not sure why, other than this huge belly I'm lugging around, because I had a really decent night's sleep last night. Work is very slow today, so, fortunately, I'll be leaving early, and I'll be able to go straight home and lay down and relax. Sometimes, it feels great just to lay down... no nap needed, just laying down and taking the pressure off of my body works wonders to "restore" me.

It's ironic that I posted yesterday about my dream of my blood glucose reading dropping, because today, it did. Is it possible I jinxed myself when I dared to share my dream with y'all? It was the first "real" time it's ever happened, and it was a bit weird, and worrisome. I had a low sugar pancake and sugar free syrup and diet coke for breakfast (breakfast of champions), and 2 hours later (11:15), my sugar was at 135. Pretty decent. So I went out with a friend for lunch at 11:30 to walk around Target. Then I went to Wendy's to get a taco salad... sans chips, and a diet coke -- all to go. Low carb, and all!

By the time I got back to my office at 12:25 pm, I was feeling light headed, shaky and weak. I thought it was because I was hungry, so I started to wolf my salad down, but it wasn't getting any better, so I decided to take another reading, and it came in at 70. I kid you not. I think that's the lowest a diabetic wants it to be at. I know it's not LOW-low, but I was FEELING bad. A coworker gave me a bite of her choc chip cookie (because every stinking thing I have at my desk is sugar free). I finished my salad, and then I went and got an oatmeal cookie at the cafeteria. I measure again in another hour, but I'm feeling "okay" right now. Tired, weak, but not shaky, which was so scary!

I googled it a bit, and found out that it probably crashed so low (within an hour) because I had 1)not eaten enough food this morning, 2) didn't have a snack, and 3) had "exercised" by walking around Target (ummm... and writing a check out at Target, ehem) ... because it certainly wasn't because I indulged in too much alcohol (unfortunately). Evidently, the food intake I had for this morning didn't match the amount of insulin I took earlier in the morning, resulting in hypoglycemia. And... evidently, the following are "quick fix" foods to eat right away in order to raise your blood glucose:

2 or 3 glucose tablets
1/2 cup (4 ounces) of any fruit juice
1/2 cup (4 ounces) of a regular (not diet) soft drink
1 cup (8 ounces) of milk
5 or 6 pieces of hard candy
1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar or honey

I just don't happen to keep any of these in my desk drawer, and I was feeling too confused and light headed and shaky to try to orchestrate someone to go and get some for me. I guess cookies don't fall in to that list, either. Yet another wrong choice. I do remember, however, my doctor saying something about drinking milk if my sugar gets too low, because it breaks down better than orange juice without crashing later on (or something like that).

I'll get it down eventually, but by then, my 20 pound baby will be born.

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Are you still lying down?

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home