Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Long Time No Post, Eh?

Okay... so it's been a while since I've posted, but hey... we're in the throws of a busy cycle at work, and it's going to be hit or miss through July.

I'm more than a little distracted at work now, because it seems that the precious child in me might be using this time to practice it's field hockey moves... or quite possibly ballet or softball. I'm undecided at the time as to which sport or hobby it's taken up, but it sure likes to practice!

Quick Updates:

My DH was injured a week ago while playing softball. He's been limping around, and in quite a bit of pain. I think he's done for the season ... I'm really broken up about it ... really ... I know he's fighting it to death, but I keep reminding him that he's almost 40, and he needs to take care of himself, because he has a family to think about now. I know it's a hard concept for him to grasp, after only being a "couple" for over 15 years now, but I'm pretty certain that our child is going to want a dad with all his body parts intact.

As for me... I'm doing okay... This past weekend, I woke up and my heart was absolutely RACING. I was a bit alarmed, to say the least. Waking up from a dead sleep to "that" is not pleasant. It has happened a few more times, and one day, I even felt fluttery ... like a butterfly had replaced my heart. I called my RE and he wants me to see a cardiologist "just in case" it's anything other than my heart working overtime to pump thousands of gallons of blood to this child of mine! But other than that... my energy level is great during the day (up until about 8:00, and then I'm in crash and burn mode), and so far, at 22 weeks, I think I've only gained about 10 pounds total.

One thing I'm struggling over, though, is gestational diabetes. Since I have PCOS, I'm a higher-risk candidate for it, and therefore, my doctor is going to test me at 24 weeks... a wee bit early. So now, I'm freaking out about what I eat, drink, and the amount of carbs and sugars each morsel contains. I have vacillated back and forth on the whole sugar vs. NutraSweet issue, not really knowing too much about how healthy NutraSweet (Aspartame), Equal, or even Splenda really is... but suddenly, as the "big test" looms closer, I'm finding Aspartame to be a very attractive alternative to sugar. In fact... while I've avoided it my entire pregnancy, Crystal Light lemonade is now a part of my daily diet.

Does this mean that my child will be born with three eyes, nine fingers, and 12 toes? I hope not. If anyone has any thoughts on Aspartame, etc. during pregnancy, I'd really appreciate a shout out from you so I can make an informed decision about whether I should eat it or not.

So in a nutshell, that's all folks! I've got to get back to work, or I'll be here another hour.

Peace out.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would ask your ob/gyn about aspartame. I don't think it is a good idea to make it part of a daily diet, especially in the first few months of pregnancy when a lot of organs and the brain are still developing - maybe one drink a week, or something. I think it is probably less oif a concern in the last month or two, when everything is formed and just "ripening." I also have PCOS and had the diabetes test early. No problem for me, though. Hang in there - I know water can get boring, but hopefully the test will come back normal and yoiu can have juice or soda once in a while. It is only a few months, and the baby's health is pretty important. My son had some developmental delays, and it was really hard taking care of those, so I would do anything to avoid the risk of causing some problem with an artificial sweetener that nobody can tell you is really safe. Just my opinion. And good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home