Thursday, May 05, 2005


So much has happened this past week. Where do I even begin???
(WARNING: This will be a L--O--N--G post)

On Saturday, I got the brilliant idea to begin a long overdue spring cleaning of my house. Okay, it was really just a long overdue cleaning... but hey! I've been pretty wiped out the first three months of this pregnancy, and it was all I could do to come home from work and fall out on the couch. Who cared about cleaning!!!

Well, now I have a bit more energy... and some motivation. I have my dear friend from CA coming to visit on the 12th, and then my parents are arriving on the 19th. So, with that in mind... I started to pull everything out of all the closest and tried to organize stuff. I'm feeling a bit panicked that I MUST be organized before the babe is born, because I have a feeling I just won't have time after he or she arrives!

Any way... I hauled a bunch of stuff out into the hall for my DH to take down to the basement for storage (yeah... it's still sitting right where I left it). I must have done about 10 loads of laundry, because I stripped and washed all the linens from ALL the beds in the house (that would be 3 queen size beds). Sheets, blankets, comforters, etc. I gathered two lawn & leaf trash bags full of crap to be thrown out. I folded laundry that I had done several days ago. I re-organized my husband's armoire (not that he noticed, or even cares!). I went through all my DH's clothes and pulled all the things that are too small for him, and started a pile on the love seat in my bedroom. Right next to the 5-foot pile of my own pre-maternity clothes. I made 4 trips to the basement to put some of my winter clothes into proper storage. I scrubbed one of my three disgusting bathrooms. I made a mental list of all the things I was going to do on Sunday evening.

Then... I looked at my watch and realized it was 4:00, and I had to shower and dress for a First Communion Party for our neighbors twin boys. Of course, the party started at 4:00! So I started to scramble to get ready and realized my back was really hurting! I thought a nice warm shower might loosen things up. It didn't. Anyway... when I started to blow dry my hair, I happened to look down on my counter (in my master bath... the disgusting one I DIDN'T clean), and I saw a bottle of Naprosyn. I turned the hair dryer off and stared at the bottle in horror. First of all, my allergies are really bothering me right now. Second of all, Friday evening, I couldn't breath so I went into the bathroom (around 2 a.m.) to get two Benadryl. I decided NOT to turn the light on, because I didn't want to disturb my DH, so I reached into the medicine cabinet (where I KNEW the Benadryl was), pulled out the bottle, and took two. Now, it starts to dawn on me with horror that it wasn't Benadryl that I took... it was 2 Naprosyn (my DH had taken some the day before and had put that bottle back in the wrong place). That was FREAK OUT number one.

So I finished getting ready, and grabbed the boy's cards and gift cards, and ran out to go to the party. Without DH. He was at a meeting and coming later.

And then... FREAK OUT number two happened. I fell. I rolled my ankle on the uneven cement on my driveway because I was too busy looking for on coming cars before I crossed the street to my neighbor's house. Thankfully, I fell on my left knee, and then on the right, and then onto my hands. My neighbor's 10 year old daughter saw me (she was on her way across the street too), and came to my rescue. I just wanted her to disappear and forget she ever saw me fall. But nooooo... she had to be helpful! (She's a great kid) ...

So I picked myself up, tried hard not to cry, and bravely walked across the street and into a full swing party. Everyone (but me, of course) had a cold beer, or a nice glass of wine. I had a coke. That's real soothing! At this point, my knee is throbbing, my hands are burning, by back feels broken, and I just want to go home. But I'm too polite. I tough it out. For three hours. That's when my husband showed up. And all he wanted to do was eat. EAT! For the love of God! I just fell!!! Hello! Pay attention to ME! --- NOPE --- shrimp cocktail had a stronger pull on him. However ... I must say that after his third plate of food, he was very attentive to me. We ended up leaving around 9:00 p.m., when they pulled the whisky and tequila out, and the party was just starting to get into full swing.

I was pooped, I tell you! Pooped, cramping, and my back hurt. But it doesn't end there. We went to church on Sunday, and then DH rushed me to Toys R Us and the grocery store because I had a baby shower to go to at 2:30. We got home around 2:00, and I rushed to prepare the food I was taking. Then, I ran upstairs to bag the gift, and freshen up. This is when FREAK OUT number THREE occurred. I went to the bathroom, wiped, and was spotting and passed a clot. I just stared at the paper and thought... Lord... is this a piece of my child I'm looking at? And FREAK OUT is exactly what I did. I ran downstairs in my underwear (we have open walls of windows everywhere) and called the on-call doctor. She told me to get into bed and rest and drink a lot of cold water, and call her Monday morning for a re-eval. And I did just that. I made my DH wait on me hand and foot, and I shuddered each time I went to the bathroom. I didn't want to wipe! And after all that running around, I didn't get to go to the shower. But my nice neighbor sent home some cake and cheesecake with my husband. I love my neighborhood!

The next day, Monday, I saw my doctor (I just love him to pieces), and he assured me that the baby was fine... well padded and cushioned, in fact! We heard the heart beat, he saw blood and mucus around my cervix, he looked at the fine specimen I took in to him (Sunday's clot), and sent me off on my own way with a stern warning not to do anything strenuous (because after all, I'm OLD and pregnant... not just pregnant), and to get my 20 week sono through a Parinatologist instead of in their own offices. He said I only passed some puddled blood from my over-exertion on Saturday.

After being lectured by my DH, mom, MIL, and dear friends, I settled back into bed for the remainder of the day, and took it easy.

Today, all is well again. No cramping, no back ache, and only a few scratches on my left knee. Life is good again. And.... I'm back at work, and my boss is actually asking me to do something for him right now.

Doesn't he know I'm trying to update my blog, for crying out loud?!?


Post a Comment

<< Home